This is the most official thing I’ve said… well, ever:
I need HELP.
Not just mental help, but project help.
Last month, I released Chapter 1 of my “NOT YER MOM’S GUIDE TO FINDING YOUR CAREER AND LIFE PATH” and announced the brand new payment concept of “Move-lah.”
Since then, I’ve made a really big decision:
I’m going to turn the guide into a full blown, all out e-course, available to the public by September.
It’s going to be the most RELEVANT, most EFFECTIVE, AND the most affordable solution out there (although to tell you the truth, the competition isn’t much to stack up against these days ;-).
It’s going to cut through the bullshiz of traditional career planning and help people reframe the way they look at their career & life paths. It’ll bring more TRUTH to the world, because the search isn’t just about finding a career– ultimately, it’s about finding yourself. (Isn’t it funny, though, how when you dig into the process of finding your truest self, the pieces of the “career” puzzle begin to fall in place as well?)
The deepest vocational question is not “What ought I to do with my life?” It is the more elemental and demanding “Who am I? What is my nature?”
- Parker Palmer
And not only will it bust traditional career planning myths and help people see their lives and their work through a truer lens, but it’ll do so in a revolutionary way:
It’ll do so through exchange of the “new currency” I’ve dubbed “Move-lah,” which requires people to take action (i.e., “move“ment) in order to gain access to the next module of the course.
The course will be available as a delicious blend of “real,” monetary moolah (required to gain access to the course) and behavioral Move-lah (required to make your way through the course), resulting in effectiveness to the max.
(Note to those who are already making your way through the guide and doing the homework: DON’T STRESS! I’ll continue to release the content to you as planned. In addition, I’ll also give you free membership to the course site pre-launch. YAY for being the pre-launch “test group” :-)
WHO I’M LOOKING FOR
I’m not looking for just anyone– I’m looking for a HO.
A Homework Officer, that is.
(Don’t fret; you may change the title of this position to anything you wish ;-)
ESSENTIAL HO QUALIFICATIONS
The HO must be someone who
1. Is as excited and passionate about this as I am– in other words, somebody who really believes in what we’re doing and who shares common values
2. Is smarter than I am (not all that hard) and who likes the idea of working with me, not for me
3. Takes initiative and doesn’t need much instruction
(I’m really bad at giving instructions. In fact, I’ll hardly give you any instructions at all. Instead, I will probably ask you a lot of questions.)
4. Really LOVES the idea of creating/building/implementing simple and effective processes (Jump for JOY!!), and who is detail and process-oriented while still having the ability to grasp the big picture
5. Can easily create documents and worksheets that are effective, simple, and cool looking
In as few words as possible, the HO is responsible for
- Creating homework templates and documents, as well as “instructions” that show/tell members how the course and the homework (Move-lah) process work.
- Doing so in a way that is as simple, as clear, and as compelling as possible, so that it’s as easy as possible for members to take action and so that the whole process is easily understandable and easily duplicatable.
- Gathering feedback from the “test” group members who are going through the course (pre-launch), and based on this feedback, refining the homework, templates, overall process, etc., prior to the official course launch.
Because the simplicity, clarity, and effectiveness of the homework process is essential in creating change.
“What looks like resistance is often a lack of clarity,” write Dan & Chip Heath in their AMAZEBALLS book, Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard. ”If you want people to change, you must provide crystal clear direction.”
The HO, in essence, will be a provider and a creator of crystal-clear direction that will allow course members to most effectively take action on the course content (i.e., “you make it EASY for people to do their homework”).
I’m not real good at crystal-clearness or at organization or structure or details, so I’m looking for someone to help make this process easier for me.
Basically I’d like to be able to say, “Here’s what I want to do for this homework,” and then you figure out the details of how to best document the process and to guide people through the specifics. How can my ideas be explained to the course members as simply, as clearly, and as compellingly as possible (is compellingly a word?!), so that it’s as easy as possible for them to take action? How do you break this down into easily duplicatable steps, and what sort of templates, checklists, instructional videos, or other, should be created in order to help make the process as easy as possible?
This is a part time, project-based position (although it could turn into more eventually). I honestly don’t know how many hours it will take, but I do know that it’s completely doable around a full or part time job, and I will totally work with your schedule and number of available hours if you’re the right person.
Straight up truth: I haven’t decided yet on the pay.
A lot of factors come into play here, but I’m more intent on finding the right person than on anything else. If you’re the right person, we’ll talk.
I’M READY TO BLOW THIS SHIZ UP—
APPLY TO BE A HO
Apply by emailing me: therese (at) theunlost (dot) com.
Feel free to send a resume if you’d like, but here are the four things I’m most interested in knowing:
1. Who are you and what do you believe in?
2. Why do you want to work with me?
3. Why & how do you meet the qualifications (hint: can you SHOW and not just TELL me why?)
4. Anything else you think is relevant
Don’t be afraid to get creative.
The deadline for application is 10 PM PST on Sunday, June 24.
Final applicants will then be given a real-life “assignment” (involving creating a homework template for a chapter of the course/guide) as a part of the application process.
The final HO shall be chosen the following week.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
# # #
[Image by pfaff]